Pictures

*** The pictures posted in this blog are my personal creations! I hope you enjoy! *** You can also follow me on FACEBOOK at www.facebook.com/forbakessake

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Gluten Free and Vegan Dietary Plating...

Happy Wednesday everyone! I have finally provided you with a little bit of color! I present to you my Vegan dessert and my Gluten Free dessert.  :)  I wanted color but didn't want to use the traditional  strawberries or Raspberries.. soooo I picked Cranberries!! Yummy.

This was a great project. We had to choose from any of the Dietary Specialities.. Diabetics, Vegan, Fat Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, etc. I was glad to learn a little about each one. It was challenging only because we had to await ingredient availability.  Once I saw what was available, I chose the above to create. So let me tell you what I made and I will also give you the recipe in case you want to create it!

My first completion was the Vegan plating:

This is a strawberry Mousse Parfait accompanied by  Vegan Pecan Sandies and a Strawberry Pear and Rum Coulis sauce.

To create the Strawberry Parfait: (makes 4)

Create a Vanilla Cream
1 package of extra firm silk tofu
1/4 cup of Agave Nectar
1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
a pinch of Salt

Create a Strawberry Mousse
1 package of extra firm silk tofu
1 cup strawberries
1 Tablespoon of Agave Nectar
pinch of salt

Chopped strawberries and chopped Walnuts to decorate the top

Procedure:

To make the Vanilla cream, put the tofu in a blender and process until its nice and smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.  Place equal amounts into your four cold parfait glasses. Cool while you create the mousse.

To make the Strawberry Mousse,  place the tofu in a blender and process until its nice and smooth.  Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.  Take out the parfaits from the cooler and place equal amounts of the strawberry Mousse atop the Cream. Place this in the cooler as well. After about 10-15 minutes, take the parfaits out and top the parfaits with strawberries and nuts, drizzle some agave nectar on top and  you are ready to dig in!

My second completion was the Gluten Free dessert.



This is a Cranberry, Peach and Apple Crumble with mini candied apples and pears accompanied by a Cranberry Apple Chombard Coulis.

To create the Gluten Free Crumble:

Create the Filling
2 cups of cut up apples, peaches and pears
1/2 cup whole cranberries
1/4 cup of Agave Nectar
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Arrowroot Starch

Create the Crumble Mix
1 cup of Rice Flour
1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
Pinch of Nutmeg
6 Tablespoons of Vegetable shortening

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Spread your baking dishes with shortening.  Mix together all the Crumble mix and place some in the dish, enough to cover it completely.  Mix together all the Filling ingredients and pour it into your dish.  Place the remainder of the Crumble mix on top.  Bake this for 40 minutes or so and serve hot!

Here was our table after we all took our creations to the front for grading:



I hope you have a beautiful evening.  Thanks for checking in and for all the comments! I really appreciate it all. Tomorrow we create a caramel sauce and a chocolate sauce. Nontraditional, of course. I am not quite sure what kind of flavors I want to come up with, but if you have something different and tasty, I'm all ears!

I cant wait for a day off from class though, this one is challenging, but I could use a little breaky break.  ;)

Night Night to you!







2 comments:

  1. Awww...the pictures look wonderful! I'm glad to know that even though some people have certain dietary needs, they can still enjoy yummy goodies such as these! I hope you have a fantabulous Labor Day weekend! xoxox :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM, it all looks great and your right color does make a big difference. Restaurants i've gone to NEVER have deserts geared towards Diabetics or sugar free goodies. Oh yea, and thanks for the cookie, it not only looks good it tastes good!

    ReplyDelete