Pictures

*** The pictures posted in this blog are my personal creations! I hope you enjoy! *** You can also follow me on FACEBOOK at www.facebook.com/forbakessake

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Whale kinda took a dive today.....

You guys!! I had two whale tails nicely covered in a beautiful gray  fondant, ready to go into the ocean and ... and... the darn fin's were too heavy for the little base so they broke. :(  I tried.... 3 times.  Did I give up? Yes, I did.  Not because I didn't want to do it, just because the reality of the situation is that the whale fins on each side are going to be heavier than the base no matter what I try to make them out of.. cake, rice krispies.. it doesn't matter. :(  The look I am going for is just not going to happen.  I want this tail to look just like the one I witnessed in Dana Point, CA.  BUT, nope.. not happening. So instead, I threw in a life saver ring...the red is catchy against the blue ocean and yacht, I likey!  I will make one last attempt to make the whale tail, but out of gum paste instead and see what happens from there. If it doesn't work,you are getting a little shark fin and I'm calling it a day! :)  I wanted the tail to be cake.. :(

Whatever, moving on.  I did detail work on the yacht today. :)  I know a few people were looking at it yesterday wondering what in the world I was doing.. I was thinking that myself!  But it came out nice. I was able to cover a few fondant errors with the detail work.

I am going to stop typing away and start drawing and creating the tail out of gum paste.  :) Wish me luck. Tomorrow is Friday Fun day!! It better be a fun day because no matter what, it is the end of the structured cake and then beginning of Ginger Bread Houses. I am not a fan, but apparently people like these made around Christmas time... I'll let you know how it goes!

Have a beautiful evening. Take your shoes off, kick back and relax... tomorrow is a new day.

XO

4 comments:

  1. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again, and if not...it just means that the whale is getting her beauty sleep beneath the ocean!! It's coming out wonderfully though!! I love the pop of red with the life saver!! I wish you tons of luck with finishing your masterpiece! And...I actually have a question. I've heard of gum paste from all the cake shows but I don't know if I ever heard what that is exactly. Have you explained that to us?? If you have, so sorry! Can you 'splain one more time? xoxoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing..... each creation is better than the last. I love how you wanted to recreate a past memory.... but what of our memory.. the dolphin.. smaller tail :) or manatees in the water... but the cake is BEAUTIFUL... very detailed, precise, and perfect... like the maker :) xooxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls.. that whale was giving me some lip ;)... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neato! I love the Port Holes and the Life Ring. Also liked the true details like the rim on the bottom of the boat and the rope leading to the ring. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete