Pictures

*** The pictures posted in this blog are my personal creations! I hope you enjoy! *** You can also follow me on FACEBOOK at www.facebook.com/forbakessake

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Project 3 and we got a 100%

I have surfaced! Sheesh, I am really sorry I was off the map for a bit. I needed a tiny break....Not from you, of course!!  Soooo... happy Wednesday to you! We started our 4th project, the structured cake.  I will tell you a little more about that in a minute.  I think I showed this posted picture of my finished wedding cake project already, but someone mucho special asked me for some up close shots so I am going to put them on here for ya today!  We got a 100% on this project! Yeay! He said he loved it and that I paid great attention to detail, neat lines, etc. etc.. I was happy to hear that because I was really proud of the work I did on this cake. Yipee!!

Here are the pics of the tiers up close, as promised.  Below is the top tier.  I didn't want this embossed too deep, I just wanted a faint leaf look to it and I think I accomplished that.  I wanted the bottom and middle tiers to get all the attention ;).

You can also see that I pressed the leaves into the pastillage heart toppers. I wanted the entire cake to have that look and feel.  The second tier has the vines.
I loved this look for the second tier.  I have seen cakes do this for all three tiers but I wanted to do something a little distinct.  Last but not least, the most time consuming tier, the bottom. :) The beautiful leaves...

There you have it.  I was really happy to see that my cake made the "Wall"  :) Yeay!! And I didn't put it up there myself either.. I just walked in on Monday and there it was. That's Tish's beautiful purple ruffle cake next to mine. She did an amazing job. A lot of work and details went into hers as well.


Let's move on to project #4.  We started baking our cakes on Monday. We get to use real cakes for this project versus using foam.  Oh! and we don't have the choice of making either a purse or the topsy turvy.  We can make any kind of structured cake we want. :)  Thank goodness!  Although I am a purse lover, I really wanted to do something a little more different and complicated.

Moving along.  Monday was not a good day for me.  I made my cakes with Andrea but we ended up using a different recipe than listed.  After doing all that hard work and running from room to room to get to an oven, the cakes came out HORRIBLE. Can we say rubber? Literally, when I threw them away in the trash, they didn't even break!! Didn't even lose a crumb! Geeeezeee! I don't even want to know what that tasted like! Yucky!!  You know what that means.. We had to hurry up and mis en place so that we could get in on Tuesday and bake right away!  That is exactly what happened. I used the right recipe this time. I baked the three cakes and started working on coloring my fondant so that today, I could start to cut, fill and cover the cakes. There went Tuesday.

The theme I ended up picking was the great big blue ocean...with the tail of a whale and the front of a yacht, anchored, watching the whales submerge. This is the initial idea. :) :)  I will let you know if that really ends up happening! Haha... Here is a picture of the start. I cut and filled my 12" cake, which is going to serve as the ocean.
You can see I put some ridges into the cake to make it look like waves. The fondant is a little shiny which ended up working out for me because it looks more like the ocean!  On the left side you can see the cut out of my whale tail as well as the yacht front. I was also able to cover the yacht before I left today.  It gave me a bit of trouble but I will hide the mini flaws with details later. ;)

You can see the marbled look in the blue fondant, it gives it that contrast of colors the ocean has. The cake is a bit small for my yacht and whale, but I am going to make it happen! Oh well, it is what it is at this point!

Tomorrow I should have the whale cake covered, details added to the yacht and waves added to the ocean. I hope it looks ok!

In the meantime, you guys have a beautiful evening! The sky was burgundy last night. It was just lovely to look at. I was in the car, pulled over and just sat there and appreciated it. 

Ok, I'm gone... Ta Ta and see you back here tomorrow.

XO

4 comments:

  1. Whoo-hoo!!!! You got a 100% Yeah!! I mean we got a 100% whoo-hooo!!!! I tell ya, I didn't think we'd ever get done making those gorgeous leaves, my hands are just plumb tuckered out and...oh...um...Whoo-hoo!!! You got 100%!!! Very proud of you my sweetie!! Can't wait to see the next whale of a project!! xoxoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing...your hands hurt huh? uh huh... ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again...CONGRATS for doing an amazing job!!! Your cake came out very beautiful and elegant. The other cakes look great too. The Blue Ocean theme is cool and I love the water color. Seems like all your choices have that natural feel, Love it! Love it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete