Pictures

*** The pictures posted in this blog are my personal creations! I hope you enjoy! *** You can also follow me on FACEBOOK at www.facebook.com/forbakessake

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Get that wrist ready to whip up some Sabayon and enjoy a Creme Brulee too!

Terrific Tuesday?  Why yes it was!....kinda!  ;) 

Aww, thank you guys for all the love and support yesterday with my tough day! Please don't worry, everyone has a bad day here and there. I am glad mine was on a Monday and I'm not letting it take over by any ol' means. Thank you guys for hanging in there with me. A blog is a blog which means you get the good, the bad, the ugly and the funny.. oh, and lets not forget the corniness too. :) Welcome to my world.

I was tired today, and late to class again. I really must stop that.  ;) I cant say that I am excited to go to this class because it just lacks a little "je ne sais quoi " .. did I spell that right?!?! :)  We seem to re-make things, and its just very unorganized.  BUT, we are going to make the best out of it and I am going to try to get us some great recipe's so we can in turn have yummy creations of our own! The best part is adding your very own touch and that is what I hope we can all get out of this.

We made Creme Brulee today. Yes, we have already seen this back in the first 6 weeks of our basics class. This is super duper easy and all you really need to have is that wonderful torch that I ended up falling in love with :) Remember? It went from fear to full on frenzy! I wanted to make Creme Brulee all the time just so I could use it! ;)

Creme Brulee Recipe

6 EGG YOLKS
3 oz GRANULATED SUGAR
24 oz HEAVY CREAM
.15 oz VANILLA EXTRACT
tiny pinch of salt (optional)

Super easy for you.  Warm up your Heavy cream.  In a separate bowl, stir together your yolks and sugar. Once the Cream is simmering, you whip it into the egg yolk mix and continue to whip so that the heavy cream does not cook your eggs.  Add in your vanilla and salt, continue to whip, and place the Creme into your ramekins.  Put these in the oven in a water bath at around 310 degrees F and wait for them to be jiggly to touch.  Once they are cooled, you can sprinkle sugar on the top of each ramekin, and torch your happy self away until you get that nice brownish caramel color on top! You are ready to serve!

It doesn't get any easier than that!  This is a LOVELY desert that you will get a round of applause for. No need to let them know it didn't take you hours over the stove to prepare ;).  I will keep your secret. What are friends for, right? 

We then moved on to the more time consuming custard, the Sabayon! Oh boy, oh boy.  We had to make this one BY HAND.  That means a lot of whipping and whipping and whipping. So get your wrist ready.  This is the French version of the Italian original, Zabaglione.  Zabaglione uses a red wine for its creation and the French use a white wine.  Today we used a dry Riesling.

This has a very distinct taste and you either like it or you don't.  I was in the middle.. so I guess I just threw that sentence out of the water! Laughing... Hey, I'm on the fence sometimes, what-da-ya want me to tell ya? I mean, when I added the fruit, I thought it was yummy. Without the fruit, I thought it needed something else. :) And so it did! The fruit... you see how we go around in circles here?

This baby only uses Yolks, sugar and white wine.  You take your yolk and you beat it until its foamy. You then add in your sugar and  your wine and you beat it some more with your whip.  While you are doing that, you are boiling some water so that you can place your bowl over it and let the steam cook your custard. All the while, you are whipping it and whipping it. And no, its not as cute as that little Wil Smith girl whipping her hair back and forth.  AT ALL.. :)

You want to whip this for a very long time, as long as it takes until it thickens, and you get that ribbon-like stage we are looking for.
At this point you are ready to place this in your cute serving-ware :) :) You serve it warm with your favorite fruit and enjoy!! We used peaches,  mandarins and blueberries... use your favorite fruit! You will lovey!!
I'm off to work out!! I hope you enjoy making these!! Please let me know if you do.  Let's hope tomorrow is an amazing day. I know it will be if we set our minds to it.

Night Night...

5 comments:

  1. Is there any way I can put a "twist" on the classic creme brulee.... I know why mess with tradition.. or should I just jazz it up with garnishes... what about a dulce de leche brulee or something....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure can. You can make variations such as Coffee, cinnamon, chocolate, raspberry, blueberry or a mixture of two fruits, Creme Brulee's! If you want a recipe, let me know! I will forward it along.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tres Bien!! You spelled it correctly!! Ok, so admittedly I've never tried creme brulee, however, if it has chocolate or cinnamon, bring it on!!! It's so great to see the process of baking as you go along, I always appreciate the pics!! I hope you have an amazing week!! Yes, if we put our minds on positivity, positivity will come shining through :) :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minus the whipping, I LOVE Creme Brulee! Thanks for the recipe. Note to self...buy my friend the most loud and anoying alarm clock ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cindy! No whipping in Creme Brulee so this is a GREAT one for you to make! The Sabayon on the other hand is not going to be your best friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete