Pictures

*** The pictures posted in this blog are my personal creations! I hope you enjoy! *** You can also follow me on FACEBOOK at www.facebook.com/forbakessake

Thursday, July 21, 2011

My 8" Fondant cake with a touch of Tuscany

Happy Wednesday to you! Although its actually Thursday right now. I was watching the Venezuelan soccer game and so this is coming to you kinda late. Sowy!!

Sooo,  these were the flowers that I created yesterday. They don't look great in this picture because the pearl dust isn't coming out cute. ;)  But I made as many as I could.   I had to rush which wasn't fun, but if I didn't get them semi done they wouldn't have been able to go on the cake. They require a lot of time to dry, which I did not have. :(  I wish I would have had more time so that I could create, let dry, continue to build onto the flower, let dry, etc... but I had to do them all in one shot, so sorry!

I got into class today early, created new flowers, finished up the other ones I was working on which had a 3-D look to it. I painted my Tuscan Window and shutters as well as my pot.. but that kind ended in tragedy. :(  You cant win them all when you have a little spot to work on and so many pieces to your puzzle all around ya, it's inevitable! Flowers broke, pots broke.. you name it, it happened to me! Love it!!

We learned how to put the fondant onto the cakes as soon as we started class. That was a good demo to see. It is actually easier to do than it looks!  Once you roll out the fondant, you will then place it on your cake and pull it out and press down.  You will have a bit extra which you will cut off and set to the side. You can re-use the fondant for decorating purposes.

You want to leave a little room for error so leave half an inch or so extra until you completely press and smooth out your cake.
To get rid of that extra fondant after completely smoothing out your top and sides, place it on your turn table and then take the extra off with a knife or exacto blade, as the chef is doing here. You can see the extra fondant he cuts off dangling from the sides.
At this point you are ready to start decorating your cake. :)  I finally got done with my flowers with 40 minutes left before the cake was due.  I wanted to do an ivory color for the fondant but ended up going with pink. :) Shocking, I know.. but pink is always a great color. :)  My flower pot broke so I didn't have a place to put the flowers, which meant I had to come up with a new theme, yet again!!  But here you are.. no more complaining.... Ready?!!? Uuuggghhh of course I am not loving it, I am my worst critic. My vision was something WAY different, but here is what I will be putting out for a grade:


Ok, go ahead!! Give me your opinions! I can take it... I still have some work to do here. I have to dust some of the petals, I need to add a stone border on the bottom of the cake, to give a little character to the window and give it more of a natural look. I still need to add some leaves to the small flowers, etc. etc.  I will update this picture tomorrow when I turn in my finished product, as he gave us a bit of time tomorrow morning to wrap it up, turn them in and start on our piping skills for our Wedding Cake project! I need all the extra time I can get! Just to make it a LITTLE better....

Thanks for being here with me!! I love all your feedback and appreciate you keeping up with my progress.

Good night and see you back here tomorrow! Thursday already! My goodness does time fly by.

XO

3 comments:

  1. WOW! What comes to mind but WOW! Like the way the waves around the cake mold smoothly, looks difficult. Your cake looks WONDERFUL! I love the small touches like the leaves around the flowers and the 3D effect is awsome and its a cool looking window, very rustic like the previous bloggie picture. Just one think...I think your too hard on yourself. I know you must be under alot of presure but I think your doing GREAT! A+ work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER FANTABULOUS SWEETIE!! I mean really! It looks amazing! Are you sure you've not done this before?? I think you did an outstanding job trying to get your vision across. I'm sooo proud of you and I know that this is only the beginning of many exquisite beauties to come! Good luck today!! Can't wait to see the finished product!! Although, this one looks superb to moi! xoxoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you girls! Thank you for keeping up with me!!!!

    ReplyDelete