Pictures

*** The pictures posted in this blog are my personal creations! I hope you enjoy! *** You can also follow me on FACEBOOK at www.facebook.com/forbakessake

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Building a Chiffon cake with Strawberry Filling

Hiii!! Hello :) Hola! Ciao.... Yes, can you tell I am planning a trip and am trying to figure out my destination? My heart tells me Italy all the way, yet I want to go to Paris too. But then I want to go do something adventurous where I can hike, and trek and jump and be on top of the world! Who knows.. Im still figuring it out! BUT, this is not about me.. this is about CAKE! And what a great thing THAT is...

Ahh I could have come home with this cake yesterday and I would have been so happy to hand it over to my pops for his birthday. Boo freaking Hoo.. laughing! This thing actually tastes amazing! I say that because you already know I have been disenchanted with this class, making cakes we have already made in the past. BUT, each instructor teaches differently and I am being open to it, trying to take in any new tips as we go along. Tips of course, that I will be sharing with you.  ;)

Lets get started. We made out cakes yesterday and we took them out of the cooler today. We took the top brownish part of the cake off with our fingers, just rubbing it off.  The Chef took hers off with her knife as seen below.  We then put the cake on our turn table and began to mark the spot where we wanted to completely cut through the cake. We did this by cutting around the cake slightly with the knife. 
Once you have made the mark, you then proceed to insert the knife into the cake and turn the table while letting the knife cut through the cake.  You will then remove the top and place your choice of filling into the cake. I chose Strawberry :) I wont go into how much I lovey strawberries. Ok, maybe just for a little bit. I'm kidding. ;) Ok, maybe I am not. I love fresh strawberries, organic preferred :) . Cut those babies up and throw them in a bowl with some blueberries.. Mmm Mmmm delicious! I take THAT over cake any day! Am I allowed to say that? :) :) Let's get back at it! 
Place your top back on after you have spread the filling and dab with a little sugar and water mixture, or what we call Simple Syrup. :) Equal parts sugar and water. To this mix, you can add alcohol if you so choose.. I chose but didn't have it on hand! laughing! Oh well, now I know to carry a bottle with me in the vehicle ;).

You then want to take the Butter cream you made and cover the entire cake making sure you have even lines.  We had a choice on how to cover the cake. I chose to use a cake comb and make lines across the sides. I masked it with crisp hazelnut pieces, and then piped out the Rosettes and Sea shells that I so hated doing on Monday :) Thanks Angela! I did practice! These came out pretty good..

That is the top view. My Sea shells covered the hazelnut mask on the bottom because this is what the Chef did in her demo, so I just followed directions. What a good little student I am. Tee Hee.. riiiiight.  I really want to be rebellious. Oh who am I kidding, I am rebellious, it just so happens that it has to be underneath my breath. I am an opinionated kind of broad and that's not allowed so much in class. :) :)
There you have it! I wish I could have taken more pictures for ya but I hope you can get a little understanding from these.

We made our Chocolate Genoise cakes today as well and put that in the cooler for the Black Forrest Torte we are going to make tomorrow. That one WILL have alcohol in it :) The Genoise is a dry cake, so I think we will add some extra moisture into that sucker.. a little Brandy anyone!? :) :)

Have an amazing night! I am off to have a drink with my sister and some friends and get my nails done. :) Gotta look cute ya know...

Take care of you!

6 comments:

  1. Yup, THAT is a cake! Perfection and now a wonderful day - go enjoy the hell out of it! Wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlllll.... the only place you need to be traveling to is Miami!!! Gosh, you did a GREAT job on this cake, great technique.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, thats sexy! laughing.. thank you for the sweet words. I appreciate it. And Nat my darling, I am Miami bound very soon . Thanks for the praise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, the cake looks very professional. I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks. Excelent piping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Absolutely beautiful! Fantabulous job sweetie! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete