Pictures

*** The pictures posted in this blog are my personal creations! I hope you enjoy! *** You can also follow me on FACEBOOK at www.facebook.com/forbakessake

Monday, February 21, 2011

Chewy scrumptious Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Happy President's Day everyone :)

No classes today in observance of the holiday.  Yippee! I will be playing catch-up with my reading assignments. :) Reading calls for munching on cookies if you ask me, so off I went to make Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. :) Yes, those of you who know me understand how much I can not stand the smell of oatmeal when it is cooking or how it tastes. BUT, add the word cookie into the mix ,and the love just starts to filter in. :) I know, I have my quirks, it's the same with milk too. I won't drink it, not even on a dare. BUT I cant have cereal without some milk...??? Anyone??  Thank goodness this blog isn't about understanding ME. :) On with the cookies!

We can make these babies together if you would like, the recipe is below. I make these on the not-so-sweet side of things, so go ahead and add more brown sugar if you want them sweeter. I think these come out JUST right with the amount stated below.
INGREDIENTS:

2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 stick of softened unsalted butter**
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
Nutmeg to taste. I use a small pinch or two
1.5 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup of raisins

**if you use salted butter, use less salt than indicated above
I make these cookies by hand but you are welcome to use your mixer. We will be using the creaming method so you will want to use two separate bowls.  One for the sifted ingredients and the other for the creamed creation.  To begin, sift your flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking soda and place aside. Measure out your oats and your raisins and put them aside until its time to incorporate them in. Place parchment paper onto your cookie sheets and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a bowl, cream together the sugar, butter, vanilla and the egg
  • Slowly add in the sifted dry ingredients
  • Add in the oats and then the raisins
Use a small ice-cream scooper to place the cookie dough onto the sheets. *Note* Using the scooper creates a consistency in your cookie sizes. :)  Leave enough room in between each scoop because your cookies will expand a bit. I personally cook these for about 10 minutes. I like them slightly undercooked so that they come out chewy.  You will get about 2 dozen out of this recipe, depending on how big your scoop is. Definitely enough to share. :)

Here is my finished product! I would love to hear and see how yours turned out.  Enjoy the day and I will see you back here tomorrow.  Bye for now....










8 comments:

  1. oh mannnn, can we send the scraps and the spoon for licking to JOHN GUILARTE's house please.. they look great... especially the checkered ones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Johnny... I dont know about sending you scraps, but definitely can send finished product! :) I made half the batch chewy and half a little more cooked for pops...Chewy is the winner ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI...John, I will gladly take your scraps. They do look great.

    "M" I know what you mean about the milk (Ewwwww!) unless its in a bowl of cereal.

    Thanks for the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your presentation!!! I don't like oatmeal cookies but looking at the pic...you got me! I'd love to try them :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget me while sending cookies! These are my fav!! am going to try your recipe. I laughed reading your post... I hate milk too! never drink the stuff bowl of cereal ok! lol. Hope you enjoyed your day off, looking forward to your next post. My belly is so happy when I read them. : )
    P.S. I like chewy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I am glad to see everyone has their likes and dislikes..whew, its not just me! ;) I LOVE oatmeal raisin cookies but I must stay away from them.. I can eat them all in one sitting! Seriously! Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Question the our sticks of butter here are 227g, they look like a block compared to the sticks back home. Can you give me in grams please or oz how much you used, I'd like to try this recipe this week. Thanks darls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeay, my first interactive baker! Love it!

    1 ounce = 28.34 grams :) So that block you have is a cup of butter (8 oz,)= 2 sticks in America. Use half of that. Enjoy! Want to know how they turned out :)

    ReplyDelete